Write at least a 900 word essay on one of the following:
- Discuss Moliere’s Tartuffe and Rousseau’s Candide as examples of Seventeenth Century Enlightenment thought. Make sure that you focus strictly on those aspects of the works that are representative of the philosophy of the Enlightenment. Re-read the section in the book on the Enlightenment and the notes on blackboard before you start formulating your paper.
- There is a direct relationship between the Age of Enlightenment and the start of the Revolutions and Romanticism in Europe and the Americas. Using any two works of your choice – one from each period, show how they are related.
- Re-read the section on Romanticism. Using at least one of the Romantic poems and Rousseau’s Confessions, write an essay on man’s sense of alienation and isolation in the world and how he/she deals with it. Consider how the Romantic hero in Rousseau’s Confessions and in the Romantic poetry may feel alienated from their society and how they deal with this alienation. First, make sure you understand what being alienated means.
- USE “MLA”
- Do not write “throughout the story|novel|poem|play” ANYWHERE in your paper!
- Do not write “the first example is, another example is, the next example is,” etc., ANYWHERE in your paper.
- I will take off 10 points for any paragraph that does not have a topic sentence. Learn what a topic sentences are and practice writing them.
- Do not write “I” or “you|your|yours” ANYWHERE in your paper, unless it is in a quotation. I will take 10 points off if you use either one. “I” stresses the writer, “you” stresses the reader, and 3rd person stresses the subject. So use “the reader” or “one.”