Must be original, no plagiarism. Must have references. No Wikipedia. Need this by the afternoon of September 23.
Review the article, Race, poverty and punishment: The impact of criminal sanctions on racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic inequality, as you to prepare for this paper. As Wheelock and Uggen (2006) point out, “the association between crime, punishment, and poverty has long been the subject of sociological and criminological investigation” (p. 1). This assignment is intended illustrate the interconnection of social problems.
Write a paper discussing the overlap of crime, punishment, and poverty. In your paper, please explain the following five core arguments made by the authors:
- Criminal sanctions and victimization work to form a system of disadvantage that perpetuates stratification and poverty.
- Punishment impacts individuals convicted of felonies, as well as their families, peer groups, neighborhoods, and racial group.
- After controlling for population differences, African Americans are incarcerated approximately seven times as often as Whites.
- Variation in criminal punishment is linked to economic deprivation.
- As the number of felons and former felons rises, collateral sanctions play an ever-larger role in racial and ethnic stratification, operating as an interconnected system of disadvantage.
Academic Research Reminder: Academic research papers must meet university level standards of quality recognized by the academic community. What constitutes quality, academic research?
- Primary (original) sources written by experts in the field of study.
- Secondary sources supported by research in primary sources.
- Credible sources (experts in the field; well-known theorists; sources which use primary and secondary sources to support claims).
- Relevant research (materials are pertinent to the area of study).
- In graduate work, the use of peer-reviewed journal articles (journal articles reviewed by recognized experts in the relevant field of study) is required.
- Educational and government websites (those ending with a web URL suffix of .edu or .gov) may be appropriate in some cases but should be evaluated carefully.
The paper must be three to four pages in length and formatted according to APA style. You must use at least two scholarly resources other than the textbook and required readings to support your claims and subclaims. Cite your resources in text and on the reference page.
Carefully review the Grading Rubic attached for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.