After the Civil War, the United States
became a much more industrialized society. Between 1865 and 1920,
industrialization improved American life in many ways. However,
industrialization also created problems for American society. Consider events
that took place after the Civil War and discuss ways that industrialization
affected the U.S. between 1865 and 1920.
For the first part of this assignment you
will create a thesis statement. A thesis statement is usually a single sentence
somewhere in your first paragraph that presents your main idea to the reader.
The body of the essay organizes the material you gather and present in support of
your main idea. Keep in mind that a thesis is an interpretation of a question or
subject, not the subject itself. (Note: Please consult Stanford University’s
Website with tips on how to construct a proper thesis; the website can be found
For the next part of this assignment you will create an outline of the main
points you want to address in this paper. This outline will serve as the basis
for your Assignment 1.2 Final Draft. (Note: Please use the Purdue Owl Website to
assist you with this assignment; this website can be accessed at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/engagement/2/2/55/
1. Write a thesis statement that is one to two (1-2) sentences
long in which you:
- State you opinion on how industrialization after the Civil War influenced
U.S. society, economy, and politics. Justify your response.
2. Write a one to two (1-2) page outline in which you:
- Determine three (3) major aspects of industrialization during 1865 and 1920
that influenced U.S. society, economy, and politics. (Consider issues such as
geography, entrepreneurship, legislative representation, etc.)
- List five (5) specific groups that were affected by industrialization.
Provide two (2) examples for each group describing how the group was affected.
(Consider issues such as race, ethnicity, gender, child labor, etc.)
- List five (5) ways that industrialization affected the life of the average
working American during this period.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia
and other Websites do not quality as academic resources.