Assignment 1: Procedural Email Message
Write a procedural email message to employees reminding them of standard operating procedures or organizational changes that take the form of step-by-step instructions. Be creative, or use an issue applicable to your work environment. (Example can be found on page 76, Figure 5.1, of the course text.)
FIGURE 5.1 GOOD EXAMPLE OF AN EMAIL MESSAGE
To: Janna Lu [firstname.lastname@example.org]
From: Lonny Winters [email@example.com]
Subject: Lunch orders for Friday’s meeting
You will find the lunch orders for Friday’s meeting attached to this message. Please confirm that the caterer, Rose’s Deli, can fill the order and deliver it to us before the meeting starts.
The meeting is scheduled to begin at noon in the Bell conference room on the tenth floor. I would like the food to be available for pickup by attendees as they enter the room. I assume the lunches will be delivered in individual brown bags as they were at our previous meeting.
If there is a problem with the delivery, please let me know as soon as possible in case we need to make other arrangements. I will have a check for the lunch available for the delivery person when he or she arrives. Thanks for your help with this and be sure to order a lunch for yourself.
Human Resources Manager
The message should take the form of an email; however, you will submit your assignment to the online course shell.
The procedural message must adhere to the following requirements:
a. Introduce the main idea of the message in a concise, informative manner.
b. Itemize three to five (3-5) key points with detail.
c. Provide information about where and to whom questions should be directed.
a. Use a descriptive subject line or heading.
b. Use bullets to separate ideas and simplify reading.
a. Include an appropriate and professional greeting / salutation.
b. Use email form including: To:, From:, Subject:, and Signature.
4. Clarity / Mechanics:
a. Ensure that there are no grammar or spelling errors.
b. Ensure that there are no clarity, writing, and mechanical errors.
Your assignment must:
· Be typed, single-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Submitting your assignment:
· Submit your assignment through the online course shell only.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
· Use writing process strategies to develop brief business documents, such as routine messages, bad news messages, and persuasive/sales messages.
· Support ideas or claims in body paragraphs with clear details, examples, and explanations.
· Organize ideas logically by using transitional words, phrases, and sentences.
· Use sentence variety and effective word choice in written communication.
· Write clearly and concisely using proper writing mechanics.